‘Tis the season for pumpkin, and I will continue to eat lots of it until the season is up!
I have been craving a good pumpkin muffin to take to work with me every morning, to enjoy along side my mug of coffee.
By the way, if you’re in the market for a new coffee mug- get THIS one! No spills, and stays warm. And it’s nice to drink out of- good feel.
Anyway- back to the muffins. I used THIS recipe, but tweaked it a bit. The result?
I love me some icing!
Pumpkin Zucchini Muffins
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup honey or maple syrup (or combo)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup packed grated zucchini
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup chopped pumpkin seeds/pepitas
– Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 16 muffin cups. Set aside.
– In a medium bowl, combine the flours, baking soda, salt and spices. Stir to combine.
– In a separate large bowl, whisk together oil, honey or maple syrup, eggs and vanilla until smooth. Add pumpkin puree and lemon juice. Whisk to combine. Add in the zucchini.
– Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Stir to combine. Add chopped pepitas. Stir until fully combined.
– Pour batter into prepared muffin tins (use an ice cream scooper!).
– Bake about 45 minutes or until slightly browned and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Err on the side of under-baking the bread to ensure that it stays moist.
– Let cool completely. Then drizzle with icing!
Pumpkin Spiced Icing
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbs milk
- pinch cinnamon, ground ginger, and nutmeg